Dr. Surya Susan Alex received her B.Tech degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, M.Tech degree in Electrical Engineering from Government Engineering College, Thrissur and PhD degree from Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) in the topic Observers for Sensorless operation of BLDC motors. Her research interests include operation and control of Brushless DC Motor Drives, Grid connected Systems and Electric Vehicles. She started her career as lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Adi Shankara Institute of Science and Technology, Kalady in 2003. Since 2010, she has been with the Federal Institute of Science and Technology, in the Dept of Electrical Engineering where she is now an Assistant Professor. She has published papers in Conferences/Journals of international repute. She is a member of ISSE- Indian Society of Systems for Science and Engineering. She has been a reviewer of International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, Wiley.
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9608-9529
Papers in Journals:
- “Optimal Gain Selection Strategy in Back EMF Observer for Position Sensorless Operation of BLDC Motors”, Surya Susan Alex, Asha Elizabeth Daniel, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Springer, First Online: 18 May 2019, SCIE indexed, Impact Factor: 1.518. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-019-03908-5
- “An Efficient Position Tracking Smoothing Algorithm for Sensorless Operation of Brushless DC Motor Drives”, Surya Susan Alex, Asha Elizabeth Daniel, Modelling and Simulation in Engineering, vol. 2018, Article ID 4523416, 9 pages, 2018, ESCI Indexed. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4523416
- “An integrated PI/LQR speed control of Sensorless Brushless DC motor with extended kalman filter “, Surya Susan Alex, Asha Elizabeth Daniel, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research , volume 9, Number 17 (2014) pp. 4131-4140(ISSN 0973-4562)
- ‘‘Speed control of BLDC motor Implementing Extended Kalman Filter’’, Joyce Jacob, Surya Susan Alex, Asha Elizabeth Daniel, International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology, volume 3, issue 1, July2013(ISSN:2277-3754)
Papers presented in Conferences:
- “Simulation Studies of Electromagnetic wave Propagation”, Surya Susan Alex, International Conference on “Recent Trends in Computational Science” (ICRTCS-2008, sponsored by DRDO & DIT), held at Toc H Institute of Science and Technology during 11-13 June 2008.
- “Speed control of brushless dc motor implementing Hall sensors and Linear Quadratic Regulator”, Joyce Jacob, Surya Susan Alex, International Conference on recent trends in Engineering and Technology- 2014, ICRTET’14, 18th to 19th January 2014, Cochin.
- “Comparison of speed control of BLDC motor implementing sensor technique using PI controller and Linear Quadratic Regulator”, Joyce Jacob, Surya Susan Alex, 3rd National conference on Emerging Trends in Power Electronics, Power Systems, Energy management and Control Systems,NEPPEC-2014, 21st & 22nd February 2014, at St.Joseph’s college of Engineering and Technology, Palai.
- “Performance Analysis of Synchronous Reference Frame Based Controller for Grid Interconnected Microgrid’’ Najda V M, Surya Susan Alex, Fourth International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications (ICACC), 2014,IEEE, 27-29 Aug. 2014, pgs-255 – 259 ISBN:978-1-4799-4364-7 DOI: 10.1109/ICACC.2014.68
- “Fault direction detection and fault location identification in transmission lines using traveling waves”, Febin Raju, Surya Susan Alex, Online International Conference on Green Engineering and Technologies (IC-GET), Coimbatore, India, 27-27 Nov. 2015. Indexed in IEEE Xplore, DOI: 10.1109/GET.2015.7453810
- “Reduced Order Extended Kalman Filter for State Estimation of Brushless DC Motors”, Surya Susan Alex, Jayanand B, Asha Elizabeth Daniel, IEEE International Symposium on Embedded Computing and System Design (ISED), IIT Patna, December 15-17, 2016. pp. 239 – 244, DOI: 10.1109/ISED.2016.7977089
- “Study of Multiquadrant operation of a BLDC Motor with Digital Implementation”, Anju George, Surya Susan Alex, National Conference on Advanced Computing, Communication and Electrical Systems (NCACCES ’17), 24-24 March 2017, at KMEA Engineering College, Ernakulam.
- “Bridgeless Buck-Boost based Power Factor Correction for Multiquadrant Operated Brushless DC Motor Drive”, Anju George, Surya Susan Alex, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing, Instrumentation and Control (ICICIT), VJEC, Kannur,6-7 July, 2017.
- “Single Phase Reconfigurable Grid Tie Inverter using DQ controller”, Anupama Narayanan, Surya Susan Alex, IEEE International Conference on Control, Power, Communication and Computing Technologies (ICCPCCT-2018), ISBN-978-1-5386-0796-1, March 2018, VJEC, Kannur.
- “Speed Control of DC Motor Driven by Improved Bridgeless Sepic Converter“, Vineeth, Surya Susan Alex, National Conference on ‘Recent Advancements In Power Electronics And Power Systems’ 21-22 May 2019, FISAT, Angamaly.
Reviewer of International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, Wiley.
Dr. Surya Susan Alex received PhD degree from Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) in the topic Observers for Sensorless operation of BLDC motors.